Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Go On Yusef Lateef's tour of Detroit!...


I once stepped out on the tarmac of the airport at Detroit, en route to Milwaukee (yes, a little out of my usual way, but that's another story...), amidst a howling wind and driving snow. I wish I could have stayed to explore the city, but it wasn't to be...

But maybe you have been to Detroit for more than five minutes, or grew up there, or live there now! Off and on, I'm going to try to do a little tour of the places mentioned in Yusef Lateef's Detroit liner notes and songs. But I can only do so much from the internet to find images.

SO if YOU can send a photo of somewhere to me via my email, I'll post it and as a reward, I'll post the track that accompanies that neighbourhood.

Here's a few of the intriguing locations I haven't yet found: Russell & Eliot (streets/aves?), Woodward Ave, Livingston Playground, Bishop School, Paradise Theater, Mirror Ballroom, The Arcade, the Dunbar, The Castle (old theaters?), the Madison Theater ...

No comments: